#17: Forests and Agrofuels
We continue our coverage of the UN Climate Talks in Poznan, Poland where the big issue on the table is “how to reduce emissions from deforestation”? The big push from investors is to incorporate forests into the carbon markets, but this approach is riddled with problems. Friends of the Earth International has warned that this would “create the climate regime’s biggest ever loophole.” We speak to Miguel Lovera, chair of the Global Forest Coalition about his concerns and his proposals for an alternative way forward.
Meanwhile in Brussels, European country delegates have been agreeing new targets for agrofuel for road transport. This will increase deforestation and emissions from other changes in land use. We speak to Robert Bailey of Oxfam International and ask why this disaster has been allowed to happen.
- Forest Carbon Trading Exposed
- Global Forest Coalition
- Another Inconvenient Truth – Biofuels, Poverty and Climate Change (Oxfam International)
- Land Clearing and the Biofuel Carbon Debt (Science magazine)
- The True Cost of Biofuels
- Worst EU Lobbying Award
- Over 200 organisations are calling for an end to EU subsdies and targets for biofuels
- EU Risks ‘Climate Time Bomb’ on Biofuels
Leave a Comment